Monday, February 2, 2015

Project 1

I felt quite comfortable with Project 1 because it is something I had a good amount of experience with in high school. The majority of the pieces we wrote in English class were persuasive essays, but mostly on literature. So, analyzing a song did come with its hardships. With only a fraction of the text, and broken vernacular, conducting a dissection of “Stairway to Heaven” was no piece of cake. I must say that at times I found myself lost for words. Usually, I would re-read my text, look at the focus of my paragraph, see where the two connect, and write from there. I also think that I took a lot from my partner, Jack, who peer edited my essay and provided me with some really constructive advice. Jack guided me with a couple of my body paragraphs, and gave me his insight into the song’s lyrics from a perspective that I had not seen. From this, I was able to develop my argument much more fully. The drafting process, however, I still believe is not for me. When I try to force a first draft, I usually run a blank. While writing, I struggle to set myself in a chair and spew anything onto the page just to have something there to work off. Rather, I prefer to take my time with each sentence, and what is created I would consider a little more than a “shitty first draft”.

No comments:

Post a Comment